Low level of involvement and participation of youth in public and political life is a significant problem in Moldova. Despite the existence of several information structures, channels and networks, a great number of young lack access to information on how to participate in democratic life. High school students graduate with limited understanding of the functions of state institutions, the mechanisms of civic participation and involvement in political life while high school curricula do not sufficiently address these issues. On reaching voting age, young students have a limited awareness of the significance of democratic rules and procedures in general and of the role and importance of elections in particular. Many first-time voters are not even aware that they are allowed to vote at the age of 18.
The aim is to support strong civil society and stable democracy in Moldova through active engagement of young people and first-time voters. Young voters and first-time voters in 24 municipalities in Moldova are motivated and equipped with the necessary knowledge to participate in political decision-making processes and actively participate in community initiatives.
- Tailor-made information and awareness campaigns for youth
- Political education in youth centers
- Training programs for election advisors
- Leadership summer camps (campaign planning, lobbying, conflict resolution, etc.)
- Simulated election programs
- Micro-grants for youth projects on strengthening democracy
- Online knowledge platform to exchange methods for increasing youth participation in democratic processes
- At least 2.400 young and first-time voters from 24 target communities
- At least 720 representatives of central and local authorities, election administration, educators and CSOs
- At least 200 representatives of educational institutions
24 target communities from 8 particular geographical rayons: Donduseni, Edinet and Glodeni (in the north), Dubasari and Ialoveni (in the centre), Leova, Causeni and Stefan-Voda (in the south)
This project is supported by