Food security for Mozambique
Since more than 15 years LED and Hilfswerk Austria International are supporting the people in the municipality of Sofala to improve their living standards. There have been significant developments in the health sector as well as in strengthening the social cohesion and so this programme is determined to follow up on those results. Food is still scarce and further efforts and innovative methods are needed for a sustainable, rural development. Managing the river basin regional is a way to balance the interest of a whole eco-system: people, wildlife, plants, river, etc.
In this new project phase, the focus is on food security, the diversification of sources of income, the promotion of the health of the population and the careful and sensible use of natural resources.
Hilfswerk Austria International supports innovative approaches from the community, which improve the living conditions of the local population.
In addition, a holistic concept of the communities on the ecosystem in their region was developed. These measures for the protection and rehabilitation of the environment as well as for the defense of individual and collective rights are being pursued.
- Launching a seed bank and building better granaries
- Installing an irrigation system
- Using approved methods for soil nutrition
- Afforestation of the river basins
- Measurements to prevent erosion and sedimentation
- Developing alternative hunting practices
- Launching and capacity building of municipality committees
- Implementing the innovation processes for the handling of nuts, onions, potatoes and moringas
- 78.000 inhabitants of 4 municipalities along the river „Pungue“
- 17.000 inhabitants of 3 municipalities along the river “Buzi”
- Local Business Authorities